Anglican Church Grammar School – School House
'School House' Refurbishment
Built in 1917, this was the original accommodation and dining facility for the newly founded school of Churchie. Years of ad-hoc refurbishment work had left the building uninspiring and bland. We were commissioned by the school to rejuvenate the building, bringing it back to its former glory, whilst creating a renovation with sophistication and style, upholding the school’s status and traditions.
The brief called for the inclusion of a new dining hall, café and kitchen, as well as the refurbishment of existing staff offices and toilet facilities, and upgraded staff accommodation upstairs. The school also requested that the original Headmaster’s office be refurbished to compliment the rest of the building.
Whilst various design strategies and concepts were implemented, the heritage value of the building was always of utmost priority. When formulating the brief, the whole school community were included and consulted to ensure all stakeholders were considered.
Whilst maintaining the traditional aesthetic of the building, new finishes and fittings were chosen to reflect the warmth and familiarity that we were trying to achieve within the internal spaces. The building and its fitout were completed on time and on budget.